If you are a homeowner wanting to test for radon gas in your home and are weighing the pros and cons of doing it yourself, then the following information is for you. Here are some reasons why radon mitigation and radon gas testing in Des Moines, IA should always be performed by professionals.
DIY versus hiring experts
While you have the option to test for radon gas yourself, you may find that hiring an experienced professional is the better way to go. Sure, DIY radon testing kits are readily available online or at your local home improvement store, and are typically quite affordable. But there are limitations in the testing process as well as too many ways for things to go wrong, which can lead to inaccurate results. In addition, after performing your own test, you still have to send the samples to a lab to be analyzed for radon gas levels.
When you hire a professional, not only will they be able to test for radon gas, but they will be able to mitigate and remove it as well. You will want an experienced professional on your side, especially when it comes to removing this type of potentially deadly gas from your home. Here’s why radon mitigation needs to be performed by a professional:
- Knowledge: Professional radon testing and mitigation contractors are better able to identify where exactly radon may be entering your home. Their knowledge of radon will create a safer house for you and your family, and they will be able to answer all your radon-related questions on the spot.
- Experience: Trained radon mitigation experts will have the experience and resources necessary to handle radon concerns. They will know where to look for radon entering your home, regardless if you live in an older home or a newly constructed house.
- Health risks: Exposure to radon can pose some serious health risks—for starters, long-term exposure to radon can cause lung cancer—which is why you should hire a professional to reduce the radon levels inside your home. These folks are your best option because they are trained to assess the risk of radon and mitigate it.
- For family: You should always put the wellbeing of your family and pets first—they deserve to live in a safe, healthy home that’s free of deadly gases like radon. Radon testing is important during projects like basement conversions, as basements are closest to the ground. Many home basements are being turned into playrooms, theater rooms and dens—all spaces where families are likely to spend a lot of time together. Have the pros check for elevated radon levels in these spaces.
- Follow-up testing: After initial testing and mitigation, you will need to have a post-mitigation test performed. Follow-up testing is how you’ll know that your radon mitigation system is working properly, or if adjustments to the system need to be made.
Proper radon measurement in Des Moines, IA can uncover the need for a radon mitigation system. Call Sir Build-A-Lot today to schedule an appointment!